Monday 22 August 2016

St Jean Du Gard.

If Heineken designed aires...

Stayed in St Jean du Gard. A little town in lower, Eastern France famed for the fact that Robert Louis Stevenson passed through there with a donkey in 1879.

A quiet place, it had a beautiful old bridge, a chunky river..
And a street called 'Chemin de Robert Stevenson'. I couldn't help thinking that parts of the route must have looked almost exactly as they did 137 years ago. He liked it so much he even wrote a book about it. 
Betty studies fruit trees.

I followed Robert's chemin for a few kilometres. It must have been pleasant, mooching along with a few francs in his pocket alongside his donkey, Modestine. I wondered what he ate - there are fruit trees and the streams are full of trout - did he 'forage' or buy? Did people take him in a feed him because of his novelty factor? I wondered.
The water was clear, so we went for a dip.

The trail is easy to follow. The track is obvious and well signed (though I had map)...

This way..

Turn right...

There's even an association!! 

All in all we both enjoyed St Jean and the aire where we stayed was (My boast to Lady R and Mission Control) 'The best in France! Shaded, quiet, friendly, peaceful, quaint.' As evening fell I poured myself a glass of vino and settled down for the night. 

At 7am I realised that it's best to check full facts before releasing information. Man next door moved digger. Oh those clanking buckets!! 8am realisation reinforced again as a circus arrived in town (our second of the week. Have you ever heard a donkey braying? Seriously quite scary.). 9am the minature steam train let lose with its whistle. So much for tranquility, sigh. 

I decided to fully check St Jean out and stayed a second night. Tuesday am was even better, with the arrival of the market traders. (Great market, I bought a hat). 

Hmmm, prize for 'Best Aire' still on shelf gathering dust. 

No comments:

Post a Comment