Wednesday 25 May 2011

'You've probably never been there either, I'll bet you a fiver.'

Set off this morning, mostly b-roads for the first part of the day against unrelenting winds. Not much fun. Cheered myself up by singing. Discovered that 'If you're happy and you know it clap your hands' is not a practical tune to engage in whilst pedalling a fully loaded bike.
 

Decided to try a different tack. Cheered myself up by eating: one flapjack, three meringues, a banana, some lentils. Had a little 'what can you consume whilst cycling' competition with myself. You may be gratifies to know that I can consume all the above whilst cycling, the lentils were the most difficult.

Made it to Newport. Main cycle bridge was closed so I detoured over the dual carriageway bridge, via the footpath. Ever been to Newport? Hmm. It'd be a great place to visit if you were depressed and wanted to know what value your life held. 'I could live here' being one of the thoughts that'd cheer you up.

I would have taken photos of the town, but was concerned that someone might see me and duff me up, so you'll have to be content with my observations.

Observations:

It is evident an important source of amusement in Newport is fly tipping. An air of neighbourly competition pervades via the 'Pile At The End Of Our Street' competition. Winning road gets a new bin at the end of each year which they leave in the middle of the road as a badge of honour.

Residents are keen to recycle glass, believing that broken bottles are a suitable replacement for missing or cracked tarmac.

Small children are easily comforted and subdued when cryingif the f-word is used liberally.

Faeces, presumably dogs, works well in protecting pavements from the elements.

Now watch these:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx8CZyFM4b4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eijc2tGe-zM&feature=related
And if you want to compare with the 'real thing' :-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UjsXo9l6I8

That said though, the people were amazingly friendly, beating Bristol (very friendly), Bradford-on-Avon (super friendly AND helpful) and Theale (friendly and good at cooking). Every time I took the map out someone came up to me to ask if I was ok.

So, left Newport....got a bit lost en route....finally found it again. I forgot, we don't really do 'flat' in wales, we're much better at 'hilly'.

Stopped at The Ruberra pub for lunch. At first glance the menu wasn't completely promising, offering...
-Rubbed pork on a nicoise salad (nicoise = tuna, no?)
-Lamb rump tabouleh with mushrooms alagreque (Moroccan lamb, Greek mushrooms?)

That said, the dish I ordered was so delicious I decided I couldn't pass up a desert and was rewarded with homemade doughnuts in Armagnac cream.

Tonight I'm staying in Caerphilly. Arrived at the place I'm staying, on the ominously (and suitably) named Mountain Road. The proprietor (and me new mate), Phillys. gave me a run down of life in Caerphilly.

She's recently sold her house after having on the market for four years. She's moving up North to be near her son and his family, though she hasn't told the other son who lives in Cardiff. She's not sure she'll like it but she's going to give it a go anyway. She was seventy last week, got 71 birthday cards and £120 in vouchers. She walks up and down that hill (Mountain Road) three times a day. She loves dogs, isn't keen on cats, had a Christmas dinner last year which she didn't enjoy because they smothered it with gravy and likes her eggs runny. Phew.

Today's images:
Little street, Machen.

Cycle track gates: wide load.

Caerphilly Castle.

View of Caerphilly, cycled through Machen today. It's that hazy little town in the far distance through the valley.

My little computer that reads miles travelled, speed, time etc packed in a few days ago. I need a battery...

Miles travelled today: 24
Miles travelled yesterday: 30

No comments:

Post a Comment