Saturday 11 August 2018

Things we love about New Yorkers.

1. They may dissolve in the rain. Results are inconclusive because they  always put their brollies up before it rains. Y'know, just when it's thinking about it. This is hilarious to a kid from Yorkshire.

2. They wear wellies.
In the height of summer.
In the middle of the city.


3. If they ask you where you're from and you reply 'Wales', there is a chance they will reply, 'Oh, that's very regal' . Of all the adjectives you could use to describe me I doubt that 'regal' would be anywhere in your top 50.

4. Security guards are often on their phones. Or smoking, or drinking coffee (all three seen here..).
5. They really do drink alcohol from brown paper bags. 
We met a bloke today, in a shop. Got chatting (as you do) and he said, 'I'm a guy from the street' (we think he meant a gang person, he wasn't homeless) 'an I can talk to you all respectful, later on I may be out on the street drinking a bottle of Hennessy.'

'She may be out on the street later with a bottle of Hennessy.' Says NN1. we both laugh. Then I had to explain to man of the street that we don't really bat an eyelid in the UK if someone were to roll around, say, in their local park after a few beers. Or even on the comfort of their own well built decking, in full view of the local canal. For instance.

6. They have a van which delivers weed..?!? It says 'weed deliver' on the side (we both enjoyed the pun) but weed. Is it legal? They mentioned weed flavoured candies, but we thought that was just a ruse.
7. They have trucks which travel on train tracks and carry equipment. Not train carriages which carry equipment, but real trucks.

8. They walk around with basket balls.
9. They do a really great line in skeletons.
10. When they hear a British accent they usually react favourably. The best reaction was yesterday. I went to a shop, chose my item - costing a dollar - and put it on the counter.
I said, 'I'll have this please.'
The man regarded me quizzically.  'Hey?' He responded.
Again, 'I'll have this please.'
He looked at me. Very slowly he lifted one finger in the air. He spoke slowly.
'One. One doll-ar.'
He studied me with finger aloft, willing the words into my brain. I gave him five dollars. He elongated his explaining face, closed the one finger, then raised four. 'Four. Four doll-ar.' He told me. Slowly he counted out my change. 'One. Two. Three. Four. Four dollar. One dollar.'
'Thank you.' I replied, taking the cash.
He closed his hand. 'Thank you.' He said kindly and 'very good.'
My English is coming on.

11. Their diner meals are great. Although today we both felt saturated with white bread, dough and meat products. We needed salad.
12. They do a fantastic free ferry.
13. They have Times Square but openly say they rarely visit and never, ever drive through. Can see why.

14. They have a dinky doo squad of two person police cars.
15. They randomly display great quotes.
16. They do amazing iced coffee or cold brewed coffee (better). Mmmmmmm.
17. They have Madison Square Gardens. That place today! It was Madison Square Gardens.
18. New Yorkers are really very friendly. 

19. There is actually and really a place called Yonkers.

No comments:

Post a Comment