Friday 1 July 2011

I had a bonk today, and I didn't even know it...

...And before anyone gets excited, starts spreading salacious gossip or calling my mother, a bonk is the term (us) bike enthusiasts use for when you get tired and a bit shaky because blood sugar is low or you haven't drunk enough (water).

Woke up ready and raring to go.
Sun was out.
Weather was good.
Bike was geared up.
Small breakfast was eaten.
Route was straightforward.

Left the B and B with only 17 miles to go.
Cycled 12 miles, felt happy and full of beans.

Do you ever (or is this just me?) get struck by how brilliantly your body works? I mean, look at your hands, think about your legs, your eyes, your ears, your heart, your lungs, your skin. It's AMAZING! All the things we can do, can understand, can think, can create.

So, there was me whizzing along feeling thankful for having a body that works really well which means I can have all this fun on my bike when I got another puncture. Back wheel again...hmm.. curiouser and curiouser, said Alice.

Yesterday I bought a new inner tube and puncture kit, so I was armed (and dangerous?). Thing was, I didn't want to make a hole in my new inner tube if there was some glass still stuck in the tyre. Had a look inside and out, couldn't find anything, decided to just keep going with my (slow) puncture and to keep pumping it up every mile or so. Occupied myself with thoughts of getting a new tyre. Carried on.

It was then that I got my bonk. Thing was, I hadn't planned, or bought, anything for lunch, thinking that I'd get to my friends at a reasonable hour. So suddenly I went a bit wobbly, bit woozy, bit weak and pathetic. Stopped to pump up the tyre and ate some snack supplies of nuts and big, fat raisins.

That sorted me out. Bonk over. Slow puncture under control I pootled into Lichfield.

No comments:

Post a Comment